Project Director - Permanent - 14212
About the Opportunity
Our client, a leading Canadian, employee-owned general contractor, whose primary focus is building better communities and cities, as well as providing brighter futures for their team, is looking to add a Project Director to their team in Ottawa. Our Client prides itself on being 100% employee-owned and 100% driven to build right. Building together truly makes a difference for their partners and team members!
Our client’s core values are: team inclusion, diversity, collaboration, ingenuity and innovation. These attributes have actioned this 'builder' to see things differently. Their story continues to attract top local talent in Ontario by making bold and positive change with partners internally and externally in the Ontario Construction Market Place.
"When our work benefits others, we've succeeded" is a mantra and conversation that happens internally and at the core of the company. This has helped to make our client one of Canada's leading contractors.
If you're interested in learning more about our client and potentially transitioning to this excellent company, please call us to discuss.
The Project Director, directly and through their team of project managers, is responsible for executing our Client’s construction services for their assigned projects. The Project Director builds the business through their support of Business Development. They will develop, lead, coach and mentor multiple project teams. The Project Director will be responsible for establishing and managing a tendering team, which will incorporate resources from our client’s joint-venture partners, suitable for specific projects including construction and design management professionals, commercial managers, estimators and schedulers, design firms, and other construction management support staff.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Lead, coach and mentor all internal and external project team members to achieve the project deliverables
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with public and private sector clients, construction joint-venture partners, financing partners, and key specialist sub-contractors
- Oversee career development of team members in line with corporate strategy
- Developing and executing tendering strategies focused on optimizing cost, schedule, Safety, Quality, and other relevant aspects of client requirements
- Assess needs in conjunction with the team, implement training, and provide coaching and mentoring
- Assist senior management to promote, align with, and add value to the corporate strategic vision
- Determine all resources required to complete assigned projects following the project commitments
- Guide the team in the structure and delivery of project bids, budgeting, and other preconstruction services
- Engage in business development activities within existing and new client bases in coordination with the VP and Business Development Directors
- Support the Business Development function to pursue new work by providing specific site analysis, methodology, and/or construction strategies as required
- Ensure compliance with all Federal, Provincial and local laws, particularly applicable
- Occupational Health & Safety Acts / Construction Safety Act regulations and environmental requirements as they relate to the project scope of work
- Conduct stakeholder meetings and forums to solicit feedback, input and expectations; incorporate these into project plans
- Communicate regularly with clients to assess their needs and expectations, to ensure accurate delivery of specifications and manage any issues through to resolution
- Align Project Execution Plan with Firm's core ideology by providing oversight on the project goals, objectives, risks, assumptions, budgets, staffing requirements, responsibility matrix, work breakdown structure, milestones and deliverables
- Support Project End Book and advise on areas for improvement; make recommendations based on findings
- Ensure project commercial and risk management systems, including health and safety, quality, accounting, finance, insurance, legal, and communication functions are implemented effectively and are compliant with corporate procedures
- Establish and deliver mechanisms for tracking project progress and reporting to stakeholders via a formal project execution plan
- Review all project forecasts to ensure the project net target margin is achieved or exceeded
- Closely monitor third-party workers' activities and billing, such as consultants, contractors, and other specialists
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Degree in Engineering, Project Management, Architecture, Construction Management, or equivalent construction experience is required
- Gold Seal Certification (GSC) is required
- LEED understanding is required
- PQS designation, trade certification, or a business degree considered an asset
- Extensive experience in leading commercial construction projects / construction project management
- Strong knowledge of local, provincial and federal workplace compliance regulations, ordinances, legislation and building codes
- Advanced understanding of all construction trades, safety and construction techniques.
- Strong management, delegation and planning skills
- Commitment to working in a team environment and good team-building abilities
- Superior leadership qualities with a demonstrated track record of dealing successfully with internal and external clients
- Understanding of contracts, contract law and contracting risk
- Able to communicate effectively with staff at all levels of the organization – including labourers, technical staff, professionals and upper management – both verbally and in writing
Our Client’s Ideal Candidate – Is This You?
- Construction Manager, Project Director, Project Executive, Operations Manager, Senior Project Manager
- A professional with a top-tier construction firm in the ICI Market, with experience building and overseeing project teams on projects $100M plus.
- Contract type experience within the Design-Build, IPD and Construction Management space would be an asset.
How to Apply
Please apply by clicking the “Apply Now” button below and follow the instructions to submit your summary. You can also apply by submitting your resume directly to email@example.com. If you are already registered with us, please contact your Senior Recruiter. Please quote job 14212.
Thank you for your interest in this role. One of our Recruiters will be in touch with you if your profile meets the requirements for the role and the expectations of our clients. Please note that all candidates must be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity.