Design Manager, Transport Infrastructure - Permanent - 15192
About the Opportunity
We’re looking to identify a Design Manager for an exciting opportunity with one of the market’s leading infrastructure contractors. With a strong presence from coast to coast, and subsidiaries globally, this well-established organization started from humble beginnings in Ontario over 60 years ago and have grown to be a staple in the construction of transport infrastructure of all kinds.
As they continue growing to take on a large influx of infrastructure work on the horizon, they are able to pull from decades of experience in building cities and careers to offer new, innovative ways to adapt to project delivery methods and ways of empowering their team members; whether it’s training and development, world-class benefits, flexible working, competitive remuneration, or just a great culture all around, this group goes above and beyond to drive positive change and positive results for their staff and clients.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assisting in the targeting, selection, appointment and management of project design consultants
- Liaising and developing relationships with the design team, general contractor, and sub-consultants
- Assisting in the negotiation of project design fees, scope of work, terms and conditions
- Selecting, or having input into the selection of specialist subcontractors or other organizations that will help complete the project or the work
- Advising on the selection of materials used and other aspects of procurement
- Leading the design team in value management and engineering exercises
- Determining, defining and monitoring design schedules and deliverables
- Implementing design review cycles during proposal development and design development
- Reviewing the design to ensure compliance with customer requirements, achieving regulatory and legislative requirements, economic feasibility and constructability of project design
- Conducting financial, technical and operational risk assessments and advising on risks, opportunities and potential hazards
- Keeping current with relevant regulations, codes and legislation
- Chairing design meetings, writing reports and giving presentations
- Monitoring and reviewing design consultant performance, including providing design performance evaluations and recommendations on company-related design assignments
- Managing select development projects to ensure compliance between design, construction and development requirements and providing liaison between design and construction team
The successful candidate will have the following:
- University degree specializing in Construction Management or Civil Engineering, or combination of an Architecture degree and general contracting experience
- 10+ years of industry experience with exposure to large scale Transportation and Transit related infrastructure
- Experience in managing the design management process from inception to project handover on large projects
- Proficiency in the use of common industry and project management related software such as MS Office, Primavera, AutoCAD and REVIT
- Problem-solving skills and creative thinking
- Attention to detail
- Organization and time management
- Commercial awareness
- Excellent communication skills
- Teamworking, relationship-building and influencing skills
- Client management skills
- Leadership skills and decisiveness
About the Job
This is a full-time, permanent position in Toronto offering up to 40% remote working.
Besides offering a competitive salary and benefits, this world class organization can offer:
- Amazing opportunities for mobility and career growth: providing training tools, new learning programs, and soft skills development initiatives. With a network of subsidiaries across Canada and 53 countries world-wide, the opportunities to expand your career are nearly endless
- Great perks: Discounted gym membership, exclusive deals on restaurants, merchandise, and travel, are all part of a long list of discounts available to employees
- Benefits and pension from day one: comprehensive benefits and pension package, so you can focus on continuing to do your best
How to Apply
Please apply by clicking the “Apply Now” button below and follow the instructions to submit your résumé. If you are already registered with us, please contact your Recruiter and quote job 15192.
Thank you for your interest in this role. One of our Recruiters will be in touch with you if your profile meets the requirements for the role and the expectations of our clients. Please note that all candidates must be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity.